Sunday, April 13, 2014

Day 36: My Grandma's Dishes

DAY 36: MY GRANDMA'S DISHES


"Theodore Haviland, New York; Apple Blossom," it says on the bottom.  My paternal grandmother died when I was in gradeschool.  Family lore says that she was an awful cook, but my grandfather backed her up quite well.  He was an awesome, Southern-style cook; we often visited their house, and dined on Virginia ham, homemade biscuits, collards, and butter beans, among other culinary delights.

When my grandfather died, I received the china.  It seemed an obvious choice, since I was in catering at the time.  Fact is, though, although I've displayed these dishes proudly in my dining room, I rarely eat off them, so I decided to give them to one of my nieces.

Real dining -- at a dinner table with china, crystal, silverware and linen -- is becoming a lost art.  At church, I have trouble convincing folks NOT to use paper plates and plasic ware, even for the most special occasions.

The Rule of Benedict instructs us to "Treat all gusests af if they were Christ."  If Jesus showed up for our Easter dinner, would we serve him on paper plates? 

Now that you have come this close to your servant, let me bring you a little food, that you may refresh yourselves; and afterward, you may go on your way.
                                                                                      - Genesis 18: 5







 

No comments:

Post a Comment