Wednesday, March 12, 2014

DAY 4: A Box of Old Schoolbooks

DAY 4: March 12, 2014

A BOX OF SCHOOLBOOKS


When I moved from Petersburg to Newport News, I started looking for a new job.  I got a job at the Radisson Hotel Hampton, and later as a catering manager at the College of William & Mary.  A degree in theology doesn't make you too marketable in the world of foodservice, so I decided to get
an A.A.S. in Hotel/Restaurant/Institutional Management at Thomas Nelson Community College.  These are my textbooks:

Introductory Foods,
Front Office Operations,
Foodservice Facilities Planning,
Supervision in the Hospitality Industry

... among others.

There are also class projects, book and restaurant reviews, sample menus, tests and quizzes.  I was a good student!  These courses served me well, but the books haven't been touched in 20 years. 

It's interesting how things come together in life.  English, Theology, Hospitality: they all served me well at different points, and they converge now to make me who I am today.

There is no end to the writing of books, and too much study will wear you out.
                                                                                                          -  Ecclesiastes 12:12

No comments:

Post a Comment