Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Day 10: The Junk Drawer

DAY 10: THE JUNK DRAWER


Everyone has it, usually somewhere in the kitchen: the Junk Drawer.  That not-so-special place where stuff get swept from the counter when we want a clean kitchen but don't want to deal with pesky decisions.  Full disclosure, I have two junk drawers, side-by-side.  I always think I'll go back to retrieve that note, those three odd paper clips, those 43 pens and pencils.  Before I know it, though, the drawer won't close unless I press down on it.

I was looking for something that I thought I had placed in the junk drawer tonight, and in frustration, I dumped it out on the floor.  Voila, Box 10. 

It didn't surprise me that I filled up a box with junk.  What did surprise me was that I found stuff that I know I have gone to those drawers in search of:
  • The other day, I couldn't find a single band aid; in the drawer I found an entire box, plus a couple of dozen loose ones.
  • I can never find a postage stamp when I need one; here I found a whole sheet of them (plus 3 37 cent ones).
  • Need a fingernail clipper?  I found three!
That's what junk does: it just gets in your way, so you can't what's right before your eyes.

How can you say to your brother, "please, brother, let me take that speck out of your eye," yet cannot even see the log in your own eye?  You hypocrite!  First take the log out of your own eye, and then you will be able to see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.
                                                                                                                   - Luke 6:42




No comments:

Post a Comment