Monday, March 10, 2014

Day 2: A Box of Files

DAY 2:  A BOX OF FILES


On day 2 of 40 Boxes for 40 Days, I put a box of files in the recycle bin.  They've been in my attic since February of 2002, when I began working at the Church of St. Thérèse in Chesapeake,Virginia.

Before St. Thérèse, I was Regional Training Manager for Radisson Hotels and Resorts.  My job was to travel to hotels that were becoming Radissons, and teach our guest service standards.  Each of these files represents a different hotel in a different city:

from Kitchener, Ontario...
to Natchez, Mississippi...
to Palm Beach, Aruba...
to name a few.

I loved this job for a number of reasons, one of which is that I love to travel.  It doesn't really matter where I'm going; I just like to go.  I like the bustle of airports, the differences of each city, and the people I meet.  I especially like the unique experiences.  One I recall often is singing "Immaculate Mary" with a congregation in Lihue, Hawaii on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception, accompanied by a ukelele.

Being in different cities at least 2 weeks out of every month, though, also gave me a deeper appreciation of home.  As much as I loved "going," I grew to love even more where I "stay."

If the Lord does not build the house,
the work of the builders is useless;
if the Lord does not protect the city,
it does no good for the sentries to stand guard.
It is useless to work so hard for a living,
getting up early and going to bed late.
For the Lord provides for those he loves,
while they are asleep.
                                         - Psalm 127


  

No comments:

Post a Comment