Thursday, March 13, 2014

DAY 5: MY FATHER'S KNIGHTS of COLUMBUS REGALIA

DAY 5: MY FATHER'S KNIGHTS of COLUMBUS REGALIA



Don't panic.  I'm not throwing this away; I'm giving these items to the St. Paul's Council in Portsmouth, in case one of their brothers can't afford them.

According to their website, the Knights of Columbus is a Catholic fraternal society that  was formed in 1882 "to render financial aid to members and their families. Mutual aid and assistance are offered to sick, disabled and needy members and their families. Social and intellectual fellowship is promoted among members and their families through educational, charitable, religious, social welfare, war relief and public relief works."  My father, George Francis Hoggard, was Grand Knight of the local council back in the 1970's.  The hat, cape and sword are worn over a tuxedo by the highest level of Knights on ceremonial occasions.

In many ways, I am the person I am today because of my father.  I think I see more of him in myself as I get older.  I think he would appreciate these items being used by someone in need, rather than them sitting unused in a closet. 

The Lord your God will lead you, and he will fight for you, just as you saw him do in Egypt and in the desert.  You saw how he brought you safely all the way to this place, just as a father would carry his son.
                                                                                  - Deuteronomy 1:30-31

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for being the catalyst in this! I have smiled, laughed, remembered and cried while gathering items these last five days. Purifying and cleansing are the benefits for me- knowing that others will benefit from my purging is satisfying as well!
    I know of a number of people who are entering this discipline after seeing my posts about it. Do you have any idea if this has spread from the comments you're receiving?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bert,
    I know of a couple of my Facebook friends that have taken up the challenge. I got the idea from 40 Bags in 40 Days (http://www.whitehouseblackshutters.com/40-bags-in-40-days-2014/), which has been around for a few years. I chose boxes, because all those plastic bags are bad for the environment.
    I chose to blog on this to keep me disciplined, but I've been surpised to find how it has really helped me to make it a spiritual exercise.

    ReplyDelete