Sunday, March 16, 2014

DAY 8: A WHOLE DESK OF NOTHING!

DAY 8: A WHOLE DESK OF NOTHING!



In the spare room is a vanity/desk with six drawers.  I have a habit of absently sticking things in those drawers that I really want to keep, but I don't know where to put them:

Name tags from former jobs,
bumper stickers and buttons with inspiring slogans,
a bag of steel wool!

When I started going through these drawers, I was CERTAIN that I would find countless treasures that had been long forgotten.  When I finished, aside from a few photographs, I kept -- nothing.  I'd like to think that this experience will teach me to make the decision to let it go on the spot.  I know, though, that I kept that name tag because I had just left this or that job, and needed time to really leave that experience.  I needed that bumper sticker or button to help me incorporate the truth it proclaimed.  The steel wool?  OK;  I think I was just lazy that day.

In a sense, that desk is the purgatory of my stuff.  It allows time for purification of the memories, so they become part of me, and I can let the object go.

Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.   But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 
For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

                                                                                                   - Matthew 6:19-21

No comments:

Post a Comment